Ben's veggie chili recipe
- 1 16oz can pinto beans
- 1 16oz can black beans
- 1 16oz can kidney beans
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 1 or 2 bell peppers (I usually do one green and one yellow, for color)
- serrano peppers (or whatever hot peppers you like - to taste; 2 to 4 is good)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (why sarah fears my chili)
- Vegetable oil (I use olive)
- Black pepper (fresh ground is best) (heck, any other peppers you have would be good too...white pepper, green pepper...)
- Molassas or honey - adds a nice sweetness.
- Bakers Chocolate - adds a nice richness to chili, I would just use half or one block.
- strong coffee (ellyn's suggestion)
- Chop onions and peppers, dice garlic.
- In a stew pot, heat a few tablespoons of oil over a medium flame.
- Saute peppers and onions to soften them. Add garlic after the onions and peppers, but before they are soft; we want to saute the garlic along with everything, but we don't want to burn it. Delaying adding it a little works.
I usually toss a tablespoon or so of salt over them when they are sauteing, along with some black pepper. Maybe a teaspoon?
- Drain cans of beans, and stir them into the pot.
- Stir diced tomatoes (liquid and all) into the mix.
I've never actually measured my spice amounts, but off of my head I would start with something like this:
- 1 T oregano
- 2 t coriander
- 2 T cumin
- 2 t paprika
- 1 t cloves
- 2 t black pepper
- 1 t salt
This recipe can be reduced pretty easily - just use less. ;^)